Prof. J. Philip is currently Chairman of XIME, Bangalore, one of the leading MBA Institutions of India with campuses in Bangalore, Kochi, and Chennai.
Prof. Philip started his career at Xavier Labour Relations Institute (XLRI), Jamshedpur in 1960, where he became Dean and Professor of Management in March 1970.
In January 1980 he joined Oberoi Group of Hotels, India as its Vice President (Human Resources), managing its Human Resources world-wide.
Prof. Philip made an impact on Indian management education through positions / initiatives such as:
1. The Director of Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore from 1985 to 1991.
2. The Founder President of the Association of Indian Management Schools (AIMS).
3. He is also the Founder President of the Association of BRICS Business Schools (ABBS) – (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa).
4. Founded XIME in 1991, and built it as a top B-School of India.
He is the recipient of many awards like:
• XLRI’s Lifetime Achievement Award for Excellence in the Profession and Societal Contribution –2010.
• AIMA’s [The National Managers’ Association], Delhi – Kewal Nohria Award for Academic Leadership in Management Education on 2011.
• Was recognized as ‘A Doyen – Guardian of Knowledge’, in Education in the State of Karnataka by The Hindu, the leading Indian National Newspaper – August 2016.